TV-show Review: SUPERNATURAL, Season 3

description
Season 3

DVD Release Date: September 2, 2008
Number of episodes: 16
Number of discs: 5

The yellow-eyed demon is vanquished, but at a terrible price. The battle that brought him down released hundreds of demons from Hell into an unsuspecting world. And it cost Sam his life. But a grief-stricken Dean made a deal with the Crossroad Demon – his soul for Sam's resurrection. 

Now Dean has just one year to live. One year to fight the unholy, the twisted, the ghoulish. One year to say farewell to Sam. And one year for Sam to search desperately for some way to save his brother. Mind-bending adventure awaits as the Winchester brothers continue their astonishing odyssey into the supernatural...and their personal odyssey into destiny.


The season starts where we left off in the second season finale: the hell gates opened and a couple hundred demons got out, so obviously, a war is coming. Dean made a deal with the Crossroads demon to bring Sam back from the dead, in exchange he got, not ten, but one year left to live. 

The first thing I noticed when I opened the box-set was that the DVD had only 5 discs, that meant there are less episodes
than usual so I thought to myself: “maybe the plot line will be rushed and botched and it will all end too soon…” I got a little scared there. However, all my negative fears were to prove unfounded because this season blew my mind, BIG TIME! It was shocking, surprising, scary, overwhelming and most particularly: hilarious. 

Once you get to the first season finale, that’s it, you’re a goner and you'll never find peace of mind until you've watched the next 20 episodes or so. That’s what happened to me and now, I’m addicted. 

I have never been a fan of horror, but the show makes it appealing with all the folklore and legends that each episode is based on and that made the story gripping every damn episode. The relationship between the boys is strong, their chemistry is amazing and it was tear-jerking to see them looking after each other; dear God they made me sob too many times… 

 Of course all the tribute goes to the two incredible actors who portrayed the brothers: Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki. 

One more thing: the 70’s Classic Rock music is a huge bonus; I need to make that playlist or buy the soundtrack because it rocked! My favorite: Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC. 

WARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD! 

The main events: 

  • Sam tries very hard to save Dean and to free him from the contract but Dean doesn't want to be saved.
  • Gordon is back, crazier and scarier than ever, and he’s hell-bent on killing Sam and the threat he represents.
  • A couple of new characters are introduced: one is a basic bitch Bela Talbot, a “great” thief who won’t stop at nothing to sell a valuable object to the highest bidder and who will get the brothers into huge troubles. But the other was a favorite of mine: Ruby, a kick-ass demon with a suspicious attitude and doubtful motives to help the boys.
  • Dean is always so funny and sassy and I laughed my ass off every damn episode. The bond between the two brothers is as strong as ever, and it’s always touching to see them working together and trying to save each other.
  • The rise of a new demons’ leader: Lilith, who wants Sam out of the competition. 

Notable episodes:

The most favorite episode: No Rest for the Wicked. (the season finale) 
The least favorite episode: Ghostfacers. 
The most heartbreaking: Mystery Spot. 
The most hilarious: Bad Day At Black Rock. 
The most frightening: Malleus Maleficarum. 

The last episode made me cry my eyes out; it was captivating until the last second of it and I couldn’t buy fast enough the next season’s DVD. So now if you excuse me, I’m going to plant myself in front of my TV-screen for the next two days or so… 


Rating: 4.75/5

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.